Sunday, July 6, 2014

Introduction After a Terrible Season

So my introduction to the season won’t be nearly as long, or as dramatic as Curtis’. I’m just as excited as anyone for fantasy football to start up again. A couple things I can’t wait for? The Patriots lost in the AFC Championship game and are looking to be a contender once again, I had a terrible fantasy season (I’ll explain later), and I love writing this blog.

Yes, I’m a Patriots fan, yes I live in Bills country, and yes I think my team is better than every other team. It’s just the way we Patriots fans are, and after such a long tenured dynasty, how could we not be? It’s been a great run. We lost last season, but we’re starting off fresh with an upgraded secondary, more mature receivers, a more mature Chandler Jones, and we still have Brady and Belichick. So yeah, things are looking good for 2014.

To get on the subject of fantasy football, I’ll give a little background. I’m the commissioner of my league in which we have 12 teams including two of my brothers, my grandfather, my uncle, six friends from high school including Curtis, and a rotating spot that we can’t keep consistent yet and is currently a friend from college. Our league is only three years old now. We use PPR rules, six teams make the playoffs and we do an offline snake draft.

My season did not go well. I finished in 8th place with a 6-10 record. I actually had a pretty great draft if I look back at it. I grabbed Aaron Rodgers at the 10th overall pick and got Pierre Garcon, Eddie Lacy and DeSean Jackson in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds respectively. I also picked Julius Thomas up from the free agents before week one. I didn’t start him week one, but did the rest of the season.

I started off 0-4 and panicked. Lacy started off pretty slow and had a concussion, so I decided to ship him off for a quick upgrade. Then, I needed some depth, so I traded Garcon away, which didn’t turn out to be a good decision at all. Right after Rodgers got hurt Lacy went off, so I was screwed by both players.
Those three events paired with my opponents having some of their best games of the season against me in the first four weeks really shaped my season. I did have one of the toughest schedules too. I played David (league champ) and Curtis (runner up) twice each, and all in the first six weeks, which definitely caused panic (I finished the first six weeks at 2-4 and was the only one to beat David all season).

So yeah, I had a really terrible season. My schedule and injuries didn’t help but I won’t blame those. Looking back I know I can have a good season this time around.

Please feel free to comment throughout the season with your thoughts and results on my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment